Saturday, October 11, 2008

Deer / Elk Hunt

Tis the season. The season to hike the mountain sides and sit around listening to trees creek and moan and make you think a big buck or bull is coming around the corner. Every year there is the tradition of heading out for deer camp. This year I was able to successfully draw out for a deer and elk tag. It usually takes months to prepare for the hunt; getting the gun sighted in, scoping out the hunt area, planning the days off, and preparing for the campout. I always look forward to this camp. I can get out with my best friend and hang out in the woods with the hopes of shooting an animal and bringing home meat. Of course, year after year, we never shoot anything and always come home with a good experience. Good or bad, there is always a story to be told. This year, we planned on staying out for three to four days. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate with us and we were only out for two days. We hiked all over the mountain which is why I am including this trip in my blog.
I like hiking during the hunt. There is no trail to follow which takes you to places most often never seen before by human eye. You also get to see some habitat you would miss by hiking a trail. And if your really lucky, you can see an animal.






The fall colors were still around and the hiking was fun. We arrived in camp on Wednesday afternoon and after setting up the trailer we headed to the north side of the mountain. We hiked around for a bit scaring up a young female moose. When I first saw it I thought I walked up on a brown bear. I was up hill from her and all I could see was her black rump. It seriously scared me. Thoughts started going through my mind and I couldn't stop thinking to start acting. Soon she turned enough and I could catch an ear flicker. Then I thought to myself that wasn't a bear ear, it was too big. I walked around a little bit more until I could see her nose and realized it was a moose. I sat there for a bit watching her and was happy to actually walk up on something finally. After five years of hunting I was succesful on creeping up on an animal. She was probably deaf! The next day we got up and after eating some breakfeast headed up out of camp towards to top of the mountain. We found a nice meadow on top and hung out for an hour or so waiting for something to come out. The storm was fast approaching and we were hoping the animals would come out and eat before the storm hit. We never saw a thing! It started to snow so we headed down.
320/Deer-Elk+Hunt+034.jpg" border=0> After getting back to camp we could see the clouds rolling in. Before we left for the trip the weather report was for snow hitting Thursday night and not stopping till sunday afternoon. Since I had to work Sunday morning I did not want to try and drive out in snow Saturday night. The thought of being high in the Uinta's in a heavy snow fall was something I had no ambition for. We drove out that night and was home by 9 PM.

As one would figure, you think "If I stay it will snow like a son of a gun and I will surely be stuck till next week. But if I go home the weather will clear out and clear skies will be!" So guess what? Friday morning I got up to do some house chores and there were clear skies. Go figure! That's my luck. That is what happens every year. We go out to find bambi and end up seeing moose. Next year I am going to get an elk tag, moose tag, pronghorn tag and a deer tag. Then I will see bigfoot!!!!! Oh well, what do you do? It was fun to get out and hike around the hills in cool weather and be able to have one last final camp before the summer is over.

No comments: